How Lavender Can Help You Sleep
By Marion Shaw
It is true that many of us suffer from insomnia. In fact, the statistics are staggering. (These alone will keep you awake!)
Let's Look At the Facts
- Fact: More women than men suffer from insomnia
- Fact: Approximately 10% of the population suffer from insomnia or some sort of sleep disorder.
- Fact: Lack of sleep can affect your general health, energy, ability to think clearly and general quality of life.
- Fact: 4% of adults take some form of prescription sleep medication.
- Fact: Approximately 35% - 40% of the population will suffer from some form of short term sleep deprivation.
While many people turn to medications in order to solve the problem, there are many natural substances that can help you to relax and find a better quality of sleep.
Good old fashioned Lavender has been used for centuries to cure insomnia. Here are a few ways it may help you:
- Lavender Bath Salts: There is nothing more stress relieving at the end of a long day than to fill your bath with warm water, add ¼ cup of our “Chill” Bath Salts, climb in and relax. Try a meditation routine while you lie back and breathe in that soothing aroma then go straight to bed.
- Lavender Tea: There are 39 different species of Lavender, many of which are edible. So why not brew yourself a pot of Lavender tea before bedtime instead of your normal bedtime drink?
- Mix 3 tbs. of Fresh Lavender Flowers, or 1 ½ tbs. of dried lavender flowers into 2 cups of boiling water.
- Let this steep for at least 10 minutes.
- Strain and drink. (You can also add honey and lemon if desired.)
- Lavender Candle: Take your Lavender scented candle into the bedroom in the evening and let the aroma fill the room.
- Note – make sure that the candle is made of clean burning ingredients and that the aroma is from real lavender, not synthetic. The synthetic fragrances are made in a laboratory and do not have the same effect that the real deal does.
- Note – Blow the candle out before you get into bed. Any candles left burning can turn into a fire hazard. Be safe out there folks!
- Diffuse the Oil: Essential oil diffusers are a safe, effective and cost effective way of filling your room with that relaxing aroma. Simply fill with real Lavender essential oil and hit the “ON” button when you get home from work. Those stresses will gradually melt away and you will have a calmer mind to help you sleep.
- Lavender Pillow Spray: Place some Lavender flowers in small muslin bags in your pillow. These can easily be replaced when the fragrance depreciates. Or, even easier, you can use a natural lavender spray like our Day Dreamer Relaxing Mist Spray. Keep on your bedside table and spray on your pillow, your face, and surroundings for sweet dreams.
- Aroma Inhalation: Place a few drops of pure and natural Lavender Essential Oil on your temples and massage gently. Or you can place a few drops in the palms of your hands rub together and cup over your nose and mouth to inhale the fragrance.
These are just a few ways you can use Lavender for a sounder, more restful sleep. If you're interested in learning more about Lavender, don’t forget to check out our previous blog posts to learn some of the other ways it can be used to benefit your health.