Top 10 Beauty Uses of Coconut Oil
We bet you didn’t realize you already had the answer to all your beauty needs hiding in the back of your kitchen cupboard. As you may already know, coconut oil is great for cooking and baking, but you can also use it to keep your hair and skin moisturized, and you can even whiten your teeth with it (our personal favourite)! Keep reading to find out our top 10 favorite beauty uses of coconut oil!
1. Teeth Whitener: It’s no surprise this tops our list. Try a sachet of our peppermint flavoured coconut oil to oil pull for 10- 20 minutes first thing in the morning. Use daily and your teeth will become whiter and your breath fresher! That’s not all, though; there are many more additional benefits to oil pulling which you can read about here.
2. Hair Mask: The next time you’re in the bath, bring your coconut oil with you! Either warm and put coconut oil in your hair directly, or use our homemade hair mask recipe. We guarantee your hair will feel so soft you won’t be able to stop touching it the next day!
3. Makeup Remover: Get rid of that stubborn mascara at the end of your day easily by using coconut oil as a makeup remover. Apply coconut oil to a cotton pad or directly to your eyes using your fingertips. Massage in and let it do its magic!
4. Skin Moisturizer: Rub it in after a hot shower so it can be fully absorbed by your skin. With such an effective natural based moisturizer, who needs skin cream full of chemicals, parabens, and sulphates? Learn how to make your own homemade version here.
5. Anti-Aging Cream: Coconut oil is scientifically proven to promote collagen production and replacement which in turn helps to minimize the appearance of wrinkles. Apply it directly to your face in the evenings or take a spoonful every day to help your skin looking soft and youthful.
6. Highlighter: Apply directly to your cheekbones, below your eyebrows, on your eyelids or any other areas you wish to highlight such as your collarbones or the cupid’s bow above your lip. Coconut oil will help to catch the light and draw attention to these areas.
7. Body Scrub: Mix liquid coconut oil with brown sugar or ground coffee beans for a natural exfoliant that will leave your skin looking soft and supple. If you’d like you can mix in one of our peppermint sachets or grated orange peel to make it smell delicious as well!
8. Hair De-Frizzer: Apply three drops of liquid coconut oil to the palm of your hands and rub between them. Run your fingers through the bottom of your hair concentrating on split ends to keep them moisturized and any frizzy areas smooth and silky.
9. Shaving Cream: Hop in the shower and apply directly to areas that need shaving. Not only will the coconut oil stick to your skin better than shaving cream will, but it will keep your legs moisturized for days to come!
10. Sunscreen: This might be one of the more surprising beauty uses of coconut oil on the list. But yes it is true! Coconut oil has a natural SPF estimated at SPF 10 so make sure to reapply as needed. The added benefit? In the event you forget to reapply your coconut oil and do get sunburnt, (ouch!) you can use it to moisturize and soothe your skin afterwards.
Well, there you go! What are your favourite ways to use coconut oil in your beauty routine?