How To Use Activated Charcoal
By Marion Shaw
It may look like goopy black dirt, but this important substance has many uses and should definitely be in everyone’s home.
- Detoxifying your body: Our bodies are constantly being bombarded with toxins, not to mention the abuses that are self induced, particularly after the party season. Rid yourself of those nasty substances that make you feel other than your best self. Try a relaxing bath with our Chill bath salts, featuring Activated Charcoal along with Epsom salts in a very hot bath and allow those important ingredients to purify and energize you back to life.
- Treat Stomach Flu: Activated charcoal, when taken internally, will absorb and get rid of those bugs. One cubic inch of activated charcoal can absorb 150,000 sq. feet of toxins, lessening the symptoms and the time you are affected. This has been used for centuries to treat various stomach ailments. Did you also know that it is widely used in hospitals for the emergency treatment of poisons or overdose of drugs? Two tablespoons in cold water was given to the patient to drink. (Note: This is not intended as medical advice and your physician should always be consulted before using any non prescription treatment.)
- Hangover Treatment: Well, our point #1 pretty well covers this. That hot bath with our Chill bath salts will ease away the headache and general feeling of being unwell that are caused by overindulgence.
- Insect and Snake Bites: This is one reason why you need this valuable substance on hand. Mix a small amount of Activated charcoal with water to a paste. Apply this to the bite and it will help pull the poison out. (Note: This is not intended as medical advice and your physician should always be consulted before using any non prescription treatment.)
- Scalp Treatment: Do you suffer from dandruff, oily or itchy scalp? Once again, Activated charcoal can come to the rescue. Add 1 teaspoon to your regular shampoo to thoroughly cleanse the scalp and take away the oil and debris. Warning, on very light colored hair, do a test first to ensure that it does not stain those lovely blonde locks and always give an extra rinse.
- Face Mask: Mixing activated charcoal into a paste with water will clarify the skin, pull those impurities out of your pores and leave your skin feeling clean and fresh. This is also very beneficial for the treatment of eczema or acne and minor skin rashes. For extra luxury and benefits you can add a couple of drops of your favorite essential oil. (Lavender and rosemary are our favorites!)
- Toothpaste: Yes, it may sound crazy, but you can use this black grit to remove tartar and plaque from your teeth. Shake a little on your toothbrush and use like your regular toothpaste. Believe it or not it will also whiten your teeth. (For fresher breath, add a couple of drops of peppermint oil and make sure to oil pull with Coco Rinse before brushing your teeth for optimal results!)
Well, those are seven good reasons to keep activated charcoal around the house. No wonder it has been referred to as the “Universal Antidote”. What a powerful treatment!