Discover 10 Great Ways to Use Epsom Salts
By Marion Shaw
Most people have that bag of Epsom Salts hidden away in their bathroom cabinet, but did you know there are many ways of using this familiar bag of crystals? From bathing to killing bugs, here are some of our favourite ways to use Epsom Salts.
1. Stress Relieving and Relaxation: This is our #1 favourite use for Epsom Salts. Fill up that bath tub with hot water, pour in your desired amount of Epsom Salts, and lie back and relax. Those magic white crystals will soothe away the stresses of the day. We suggest that you try to enhance your bath experience with our bath salts, Chill or Float Salt Soaks which both contain Epsom Salts for enhanced relaxation, as well as added essential oils and botanicals. Pure luxury.
2. Reduce Inflammation: Had a hard workout at the gym or a long run and those muscles and joints are just swollen and sore? The unique mineral load of Epsom Salts in your bath will reduce swelling, replenish those lost electrolytes and bring you back to feeling soothed and healed.
3. Foot Odor: Get rid of foot odor by putting a handful of Epsom Salts in a footbath of hot water and soak your feet while you sit back and relax. Not only will this get rid of the odor, but the bath salts will also soften the skin, and soothe your achy feet after a long day at the office.
4. Splinter Remover: Ouch!!! That pesky splinter is in there good and deep. Soak the area in hot water with Epsom Salts and watch that tiny offensive pain come to the surface. So much easier (and less painful!) than trying to dig it out.
5. Body Exfoliator: Those dry flaky legs and rough feeling skin can easily be rendered smooth and silky by mixing Epsom Salts with Coconut oil (our personal favourite!) or any other type of skin softening oil you prefer to use, such as almond oil. Rub this mixture over your skin and feel the difference. No more “snakeskin” legs, just smooth and soft skin.
6. Protect your health: Did you know that regular bathing with bath salts, specifically Epsom Salts, will help to protect your arteries by keeping the aterial walls soft and supple? Your circulation can also improve which will also aid in preventing blood clots. Now that's what we call a win-win!
7. In the Garden: If you don’t want to use those toxic chemicals on your lawn and flowers, mix a solution of Epsom Salt and water. We like to use 1 cup of Epsom Salts to 5 gallons of water and spray away. Since Epsom Salt is just pure Magnesium Sulphate, it is safe for your lawn and for your flowers and vegetables. As an added bonus, it also does wonders for keeping your lawn green and helps your plants grow even faster.
8. Clean Your Bathroom Tiles: Mix together Epsom Salts and dish detergent and use on your tiles. It will help to remove soap scum and leave your tiles sparkling clean and shiny.
9. Remove Hairspray or Product Buildup: Over did it with the hairspray again? No worries, it happens to all of us. To remove product build up, mix up 1 gallon of water, 1 cup of lemon juice and 1 cup of Epsom Salts. Make this the day before you want to use it. Apply to dry hair, and wait 20 minutes. Rinse and shampoo and presto!!! That white flaky residue is gone, and your hair will feel sleek and shiny once again.
10. Ease Chronic Pain: Many people suffer from various ailments that cause chronic pain that is difficult to treat, Fibromyalgia being one of them. Daily bathing with bath salts in an Epsom Salt bath, (try using our Float Salt Soak with Dead Sea Salt to detoxify) will help to replenish minerals and ease sore muscles and for some people, even chronic pain.
We hope you enjoyed the different ways we like to use Epsom Salts at home. We hope some of these inspired you to bring that bag of Epsom Salts out of the cupboard and put it to good use!